Built in 1799 Moved in 1964
The Pitot House was moved in order to save it from demolition. Months of negotiating and scrambling led to this moment on July 21, 1964. The walls of the original ground floor were solid local brick and could not reasonably be moved. However, the plastered brick columns and the brick-between-post second floor were shored up and loaded on trucks.
The relocated second floor was jacked up to sit on a new foundation and first floor. While two columns were lost, they were replaced with new material. This one-day move by Abry Brothers, Inc., uncovered elements of the original fabric, which helped guide the restoration of the house.