tours of the Pitot House
Our docents provide guided tours Wed. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Please arrive by 2:15 PM for a tour of the house.
Located on historic Bayou St. John, the Pitot House is the only Creole colonial country house that is open to the public in New Orleans. Our 45 minute tour takes you through The Pitot House which is a National Trust for Historic Preservation Partner Place. Our knowledgeable docents tell the story of life along the bayou since the earliest days of settlement. They also reveal a variety of owners from prominent lawyers to austere nuns. One of the most prominent was James Pitot, the first mayor of New Orleans after the city's incorporation who lived here from 1810-1819. Visitors further enjoy Louisiana and American antiques that date from the early 1800s through mid-nineteenth century.
Bayou St. John Walking Tour
Walking Tours are offered Thursdays at 10 a.m.
Advance reservations are required.
Stroll through 300 years of history while experiencing the beauty and ambiance of New Orleans’ oldest neighborhood. The tour starts at the Pitot House located at 1440 Moss Street. It encompasses a Pitot House tour and a one mile walk around the Bayou St. John neighborhood, known as the Faubourg Pontchartrain, plus a brief stop in St. Louis Cemetery No. 3 on Esplanade Avenue.
The Bayou St. John Walking Tour is led by Pitot House docent Jamie Barker, who researched and developed the narrative for Louisiana Landmarks Society’s Tricentennial offerings.
Advance reservations required; tours must be booked 24 hours, in advance.
Cost: $30 per person
Tours limited to maximum of 10 people.
Proceeds benefit Louisiana Landmarks Society.